Wednesday, July 16, 2014
History of The Palace Theatre
The Palace has been a beacon for the best in arts and entertainment in downtown Stamford since 1927. Acclaimed as “Connecticut’s Most Magnificent,” this 1,580 seat Thomas Lamb-designed vaudeville house brought stars like Will Rogers, Lucille Ball, the Three Stooges, Bill “Bojangles” Robinson, Hattie McDaniel, Olsen and Johnson, Red Skelton, Jackie Cooper, Ed Sullivan, Eddie Albert, Buster Crabbe, Donald O’Connor, Paul Whiteman, Jimmy Dorsey, Blackstone the Magician, and opera star Biniamino Gigli.
Years later, the Palace was restored and re-opened in 1983 for live theatre, concerts and art exhibitions. The multi-phase improvement project provided the Palace with a larger than Broadway sized stage, new dressing rooms, wardrobe/costume maintenance facilities, and other improved services.
From 1999-2003, another major expansion and renovation phase was put into motion. The four story building that housed the small lobby was torn down and reconstructed to what we know today; including two levels, a Grand Staircase to connect them and the Jaffe Cafe Teatro.
The Palace is dedicated to providing exciting entertainment that enriches the cultural, educational, economic and social life of the community. With a full season of cultural and entertainment events, the Palace Theatre is also home to several performing arts groups, forming an oasis for arts lovers.
Interested in the full history of the Palace? Visit our website linked here ».
Stay up to date with events and happenings by Liking us on Facebook, Following us on Twitter, and adding us to your Circles on Google+!